COLUMBUS, OHIO – Franklin County Emergency Management and Homeland Security (FCEM&HS) is urging the community to join millions of people who will Drop, Cover, and Hold On at 10:20 a.m. on October 20, 2016 in the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut Earthquake Drill. Participating is a great way for your family, school or organization to be prepared to survive and recover quickly from an earthquake.
Major earthquakes may happen anywhere you live, work or travel in the Central U.S. The ShakeOut is a chance to practice how to protect ourselves, and for everyone to become prepared. The goal is to prevent disasters from becoming catastrophes. Drop, Cover, and Hold On is the recommended safety action should an earthquake occur. During an earthquake, individuals are advised to:
• Drop to the ground
• Take Cover under a sturdy table or desk if possible, and protect their heads and necks
• Hold On until the shaking stops
To participate in the 2016 Great Central U.S. ShakeOut :
• Register at www.ShakeOut.org/centralus/register to be counted in the ShakeOut Drill and get email updates.
• Download a Drill Broadcast recording from www.ShakeOut.org/drill/broadcast
• Have a two-minute “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” drill at 10:20 a.m. on October 20th.
• You may also want to coordinate an exercise of your emergency plan.
• Update disaster supply kits.
• Discuss what you learned and make improvements.
FCEMHS is a local government agency which coordinates county-wide emergency/disaster planning, education, warning, response and recovery.