Franklin County Citizen Corps Program
Franklin County Emergency Management and Homeland Security
About Citizen Corps
Citizen Corps was created to help coordinate volunteer activities that will make our communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to any emergency situation. It provides opportunities for people to participate in a range of measures to make their families, their homes, and their communities safer from the threats of crime, terrorism, and disasters of all kinds.
Citizen Corps programs build on the successful efforts that are in place in many communities around the country to prevent crime and respond to emergencies. Programs that started through local innovation are the foundation for Citizen Corps and this national approach to citizen participation in community safety.
Citizen Corps is coordinated nationally by the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency. In this capacity, FEMA works closely with other federal entities, state and local governments, first responders and emergency managers, the volunteer community, and the Corporation for National & Community Service.
The mission of the Franklin County Citizen Corps Council is to harness the power of every individual through education, training, and volunteer service to make our community safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to the threats of natural disasters, terrorism, crime, public health issues and emergencies of all kinds.
To be the primary clearinghouse for volunteers and resources devoted to developing, organizing, and sustaining a volunteer community workforce capable of educating, preparing, and responding to, and recovering from emergencies and disasters in the Franklin County area as requested.
- To assist in the planning, development, and response of volunteer services within Franklin County and the State of Ohio;
- To continue to develop additional services as needed to better provide support services to emergency and law enforcement agencies as needed;
- To provide community education programs that address disasters, terrorism, volunteerism, and other safety issues through displays, presentations, and/or formal training programs;
- To foster cooperative partnerships and endeavors among local, state, and national governmental, private, and volunteer agencies serving the citizens of Franklin County and the State of Ohio;
- To establish a consortium of local business leaders, citizens, volunteer group directors, public safety, and service leaders to ensure the mission and vision of the council is achieved;
Citizen Corps Links:
About Franklin County Citizen Corps
Chris Williams, Franklin County Citizen Corps Coordinator and Program Manager
A variety of different groups regularly attend Franklin County Citizen Corps Council meetings to give updates on current program progress and future opportunities for all groups to unite in recruiting, educating and preparing Franklin County Citizens.
Are you a volunteer organization leader and interested in joining Franklin County Citizen Corps?
Are you a citizen looking to volunteer for a program and make a difference within the Franklin County Citizen Corps?
Register with Ohio Responds.